Preparation time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 35 minutes.
- 125g (4oz) margarine or butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 125g (4oz) self-raising white or wholemeal flour (or half and half)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar or dark soft brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1–2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 3 tbsp red jam and/or a little whipped cream
- crystallised rose petals, to decorate
For the glaze icing:
- 125g (4oz) icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp warmed triple distilled rose-water
Add the margarine or butter, sugar and eggs. Beat for 2–3 minutes or until the mixture is light and glossy. Add the water if necessary, a little at a time, to make a soft, dropping consistency. Divide the mixture between the two tins and smooth the tops.
Bake for 35 minutes in a preheated oven,180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4, or until the centre of each cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool for 30 seconds, then turn the cakes out on to a wire rack, strip off the paper and leave to cool.
Sandwich the cakes with the jam and/or cream, top with the glace icing (made by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl, adding the rose water and beating until smooth and glossy), and decorate with the crystallised rose petals.