Chunky Oven-Baked Ratatouille
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 large courgette, cut into chunky pieces
- 1 large aubergine, cut into chunky pieces
- 2 red peppers and 2 golden peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
- 450g (1lb) small tomatoes or large cherry tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- several sprigs of fresh basil
Put all the vegetables and the garlic into a roasting tray or large shallow casserole and sprinkle with the oil and some salt and pepper. Mix with your hands so that all the vegetables get coated.
Bake, uncovered, a preheated oven, 180oC, 350oF, Gas Mark 4, for 30–40 minutes, until the vegetables are browned at the edges, tender and smelling gorgeous.
Season with more salt and pepper if necessary, tear the basil over the top and serve.
Taken from Rose Elliot’s Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook, published by BBC Books